Anything to do with the Mastering Color course goes here. Post your images up or ask questions - anything!

Views: 3873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Jeremy. Nice work, more so on the plum. My only 2 recommendations would be to use slightly thicker paint in the darks so that you can't see the board/canvas through the paint. (More so in the plum). and the drawing of the cube is a bit wonky but that's separate from the color which you seemed to have done well. Hard for me to say exactly without seeing what it was you were painting but in both cases you've created a good representation of a credible 3 dimensional object including shadows and reflected light. Well done.
Oh, one other thing is that you could try in the next exercises seeing how few brushstrokes you can do it in. This requires keeping a clean brush and reloading much more often. Each brushstroke costs you $50 and you only have $2000. Spend well.
Richard,

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I saw that the plum cube was off a bit, but from your comments feel that I did accomplish my goal in this exercise. This one was a real challenge for me. Getting the shadow right was the biggest frustration. I don't paint much and only once or twice from life before starting these lessons. I never really knew how to.

I have been struggling with my paints being to thin especially my lamp black, it's real thin coming out of the tube.

Next, time I think I'll try using a bigger brush to force me to use fewer strokes. Would posting a pic help you better judge how I did? I know how the camera can change things.

Richard Robinson said:
Thanks Jeremy. Nice work, more so on the plum. My only 2 recommendations would be to use slightly thicker paint in the darks so that you can't see the board/canvas through the paint. (More so in the plum). and the drawing of the cube is a bit wonky but that's separate from the color which you seemed to have done well. Hard for me to say exactly without seeing what it was you were painting but in both cases you've created a good representation of a credible 3 dimensional object including shadows and reflected light. Well done.
Oh, one other thing is that you could try in the next exercises seeing how few brushstrokes you can do it in. This requires keeping a clean brush and reloading much more often. Each brushstroke costs you $50 and you only have $2000. Spend well.
Hi Richard - I found your workshops through Robert Genn's newsletter and I am so happy I have. I'm working my way through the lessons but am having major problems printing the value scales, cubes, etc. on heavy paper (my printer isn't cooperating). Since I have paid for the lessons am I able to take the pdf file to Staples or somewhere like that to have them print it?

Donna
Yes, absolutely.

Donna MacDonald said:
Hi Richard - I found your workshops through Robert Genn's newsletter and I am so happy I have. I'm working my way through the lessons but am having major problems printing the value scales, cubes, etc. on heavy paper (my printer isn't cooperating). Since I have paid for the lessons am I able to take the pdf file to Staples or somewhere like that to have them print it?

Donna
For those who don't have use of a printer to make blocks. Maybe kids blocks from the toy store would be a suggestion. What if we just went on to still life studies, matchboxes or something, in a simplistic version, Terry Clare
I noted here you have been painting a short while. I thought you did a very painterly job on that cube. Here is a pdf on perspective you may like and one on paint. Hope it is of help, Terry

Jeremy Summey said:
Richard,

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I saw that the plum cube was off a bit, but from your comments feel that I did accomplish my goal in this exercise. This one was a real challenge for me. Getting the shadow right was the biggest frustration. I don't paint much and only once or twice from life before starting these lessons. I never really knew how to.

I have been struggling with my paints being to thin especially my lamp black, it's real thin coming out of the tube.

Next, time I think I'll try using a bigger brush to force me to use fewer strokes. Would posting a pic help you better judge how I did? I know how the camera can change things.

Richard Robinson said:
Attachments:
Terry,

Thank you so much! I love Andrew Loomis' books.

terry clare said:
I noted here you have been painting a short while. I thought you did a very painterly job on that cube. Here is a pdf on perspective you may like and one on paint. Hope it is of help, Terry

Jeremy Summey said:
Richard,

Richard Robinson said:
Hi Robbo, Have been making colour wheel masks. About time I did a few block paintings and serious practise. Did a couple of 2tone studies, another Eakins model (didn't feel as happy with that. Might add a lighter background). Should be ready to paint small studies out doors as soon as the weather clears. I'm a bit of a sook in the wet. Might sell up and move to the northern coast beaches soon. Don't worry if I go quiet for a while, Terry Clare
Attachments:
Umm..notice you like figure painting..these might help..great work if you like it, Terry

Jeremy Summey said:
Terry,

terry clare said:

Jeremy Summey said:
Richard,

Richard Robinson said:
Attachments:
Looks like I got some good reading to do before my figure drawing class this coming fall. I've drawn on and off for a long time but I never honestly took the time to learn the craft as I should have. I think mostly because there was no one to show me the way and anyone who I had been around didn't really know either. Even when I was in the gifted and talented program at my high school the teachers there really were not well trained. Thank God for the internet, an art college was too expensive for me.

Thanks again.

terry clare said:
Umm..notice you like figure painting..these might help..great work if you like it, Terry

Jeremy Summey said:
Terry,

terry clare said:

Jeremy Summey said:
Richard,

Richard Robinson said:
Hi Terry,

Did you realize there is Digital color Wheel masking tool on Richard's site?
http://www.livepaintinglessons.com/gamutmask.php

~John

terry clare said:
Hi Robbo, Have been making colour wheel masks. About time I did a few block paintings and serious practise. Did a couple of 2tone studies, another Eakins model (didn't feel as happy with that. Might add a lighter background). Should be ready to paint small studies out doors as soon as the weather clears. I'm a bit of a sook in the wet. Might sell up and move to the northern coast beaches soon. Don't worry if I go quiet for a while, Terry Clare
Ahoy thar John, Yes and they are very good ones too. Afraid I like to experiment. I wanted something with my favorite mixtures in it that I use constantly. I find that when I use a printed version I usually end up with these mixes anyway, which is probably force of habit, and thought it would be easier as a reference to have my own personalized version in oil paint which would be closer to printed dye. I may well have to revert to the the lesson version eventually or may use both and or either. When you retire you tend to go a bit dotty and as you can see I'm probably a good example. I don't mind taking risks and coming a cropper, so I do appreciate it John when people keep an weather eye on me, Terence

John P Garrett said:
Hi Terry,

Did you realize there is Digital color Wheel masking tool on Richard's site?
http://www.livepaintinglessons.com/gamutmask.php

~John

terry clare said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

The Complete Artist is a friendly social network for all artists wanting to improve their painting.

Get my FREE Painting Lessons here!

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Events

© 2024   Created by Richard Robinson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service