I have a query for Richard and anyone else who might like to comment.

Richard, I notice that you recommend Archival Oils by Chroma but that you regularly use water soluble oils when making the online demonstration videos.  Do you now prefer water soluble oils to the traditional oils?  

I'm fairly new to oil painting having painted mostly in watercolour and acrylic in the past.  I have bought a number of tubes of traditional oils but I'm now wondering whether I should have bought water soluble oils for more convenience.  It seems that they might dry quicker?  or are they easier to handle? and easier to clean up? I would like to hear the pros and cons on each please.  Thank you.

Views: 4101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Colleen,

I have been using water mixable oils for some time now.  I like the easy clean-up and reduced exposure to solvents.  There are several brands available now ( Windsor and Newton, Lukas-Berlin, Duo-Aqua, Cobra, etc.) and you should try them all to see which you like best.  I do like the Cobra paints and find them quite reasonably priced.  Last year I learned that Daniel Smith was making a water mixable oil and tried them.  They are really quite nice.  I attached a couple of paintings....Sitting with the dog on the bay was painted with Cobra paints.  Swimming lessons was painted using the Daniel Smith paints.  Whichever you choose you will be able to achieve the same effects as traditional oils.  Happy painting!

Barbara

Attachments:

Thank you for that information Barbara.  Obviously more brands have come onto the market since I first asked the question.  I mostly just paint in watercolour now, but it's good to get some feedback on the traditional oils -v- water based oils question.  Your paintings are lovely and I can't tell any different to traditional oils.

Cheers

Colleen

Hi all, I have recently joined this forum and think that it can be very helpful ...

I have been using acrylics for a long time, after working with watercolours and before switching to colored pencils during 15 years. I'm actually coming back to paintings and I have bought acrylics again... But I wanted to try water soluble oil paintings too and I bought 2 tubes of Cobra... 

Well, just Titanium white  and primary Cyan to give a try in my skies before buying more... 

I was very happy with the rendering and also that I could take my time to make the details before the leaves ... But my problem is : I made that little painting 12 days ago and it's still not dry ! 

What medium can I use to reduce the drying time ? I enjoy to superpose and use glaze so it's just too long for me ! 

Thank you for your advices :)

Nicole, I think you meant to ask how you can speed up drying?  I have been using WSO for several years.  First, WSO or WMO (water mixable Oil) are "OIL PAINTS". They dry the same time as regular oils. They are to be used like oils.  DO NOT use water to thin.  Companies are now offering mediums to use with WSOs.  I use LUKAS Medium 3 "Fast drying medium".  But caution, this really causes fast drying.  If you used water to thin, that explains the slow drying.  Just use water to clean your brushes instead of solvent.   I use Duo Aqua Oil DO 502 Linseed Oil to thin.  I use either Lukas Berlin or or Duo Holbein brands for WSO/WMO.  I don't use Cobra as they are too oily for me.  Hope this helps.  PS:  I would not use with acrylic except to use acrylic to tone the canvas.  Use WMO the same as traditional oils.

Toska

Nicole Barrière-Jahan said:

Hi all, I have recently joined this forum and think that it can be very helpful ...

I have been using acrylics for a long time, after working with watercolours and before switching to colored pencils during 15 years. I'm actually coming back to paintings and I have bought acrylics again... But I wanted to try water soluble oil paintings too and I bought 2 tubes of Cobra... 

Well, just Titanium white  and primary Cyan to give a try in my skies before buying more... 

I was very happy with the rendering and also that I could take my time to make the details before the leaves ... But my problem is : I made that little painting 12 days ago and it's still not dry ! 

What medium can I use to reduce the drying time ? I enjoy to superpose and use glaze so it's just too long for me ! 

Thank you for your advices :)

Thank you Toska for your reply... I didn't use a lot water, except that my brushes were wet before taking paint on them ... But, I will try to find a fast drying medium .. I looked at the Cobra brand and it seems that they don't have, but I suppose that I can mix with another brand medium ... I was also wondering if it's a good idea to try Liquin which is, I think , Alkyd medium ... ? 

I don't need the paintong to dry very quickly but at least in 3 or 4 days ... besides, I do not paint with a lot of thickness, I like the paintings quite smooth, without too much impaction ...( suppose that impaction is not the right word ;) )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

The Complete Artist is a friendly social network for all artists wanting to improve their painting.

Get my FREE Painting Lessons here!

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Events

© 2024   Created by Richard Robinson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service