My big problem as a painter is trying to work out what price to set for a painting. This gives me nightmares. How do other artists work out prices.

Is it on size?

How long the painting took to do?

How well it turned out?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Jeff

Views: 1008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Randy,

I usually ask what subject they want and then paint the picture as I feel it should be painted. I paint fairly slowly so if I charged $1 a minute I'd either be rich or no one could afford me. :) 

Randy Fanger said:

Hi Jeff.  I do things a little different.  Minimum $1 per minute.  If they want to spend money on something real detailed, I charge more.  If they are super nice, I give them extra time.  Keep in mind that most of the work I do is the idea of the client.  I just ask them colors they don't want to see, in the finished product.  Sometimes I tell them a complimentary color is necessary, and I want free reign on how it's done.  If they like a painting on my wall......all is negotiable.  I never let them be the art-director either.

Hope this helps too............RAF

Thanks Veronica, you may be right. I'm taking my paintings to a local market toward the end of January. I'll see how they sell there and decide if a price rise is warranted.

Jeff

Veronica Summers said:

...when something becomes too cheap, and orders are building it is then better to raise the price to slow down the demand, this will determine your cap and your own instinct has mentioned them being too cheap as well. Listen to your intution))

Hi   Jeff              I am new to this site. But I found that sometimes the best price isn't always paid in cash. I go to Florida every winter , where the light is great for painting. I get 2 weeks free condo rent for a painting. The rent for the place is $1400. a month.   I go deep sea fishing for a painting. Many 3-day weekends and great many meals. The price is in the eyes of the beholder.      Len

Thanks Len, I often give paintings as gifts but I like the barter idea.

Jeff

Len Stadler said:

Hi   Jeff              I am new to this site. But I found that sometimes the best price isn't always paid in cash. I go to Florida every winter , where the light is great for painting. I get 2 weeks free condo rent for a painting. The rent for the place is $1400. a month.   I go deep sea fishing for a painting. Many 3-day weekends and great many meals. The price is in the eyes of the beholder.      Len

The bartering idea is awesome!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

The Complete Artist is a friendly social network for all artists wanting to improve their painting.

Get my FREE Painting Lessons here!

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Events

© 2024   Created by Richard Robinson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service